- Interpersonal & Work Communication <body>

Name: Leon Teng Kian Lun
Age    : 23
BOD  : 21/07/1993


Communicate the Love



Communication
- the human connection
-is the key to personal and
 career success.
            -Paul J. Meyer

No. of people viewed
Counter for tumblr
Website Stats

Saturday 4 March 2017
Resolving Interpersonal Conflict



REVISED
As many people know that I swam quite actively in the past and was from a swim
 team, interpersonal conflict was something that happens easily. Therefore, I am sharing my personal experience to see what is your opinion on my situation.

This happened in 2011, I was assigned as assistant coach by my coach for an upcoming competition that was hosted by Republic Polytechnic. My coach had assigned this position to me as he was unable to attend our training and by assigning me with this position he could be assured that the team will be under supervision. The vice-captain of the team was unhappy about it,as she felt that she should be the one holding this position instead of me. 

Therefore, during one of our training, she decided to go against my plan and trained on her own. Firstly this does not affect me, as the team was still following my plan. But all changes when they started asking me, why was the vice-captain able to rest and not sticking with the plan. Following on to the complaint, I soon unable to get the training in the correct attitude as the team decided to get slack on their timing laps and I have to confront the vice-captain about her doings. 

I went to tell her about the situation and she said that it was not her issue, as I should be the one taking care of the team. While I further explained myself on what she doing was affecting the team attitude, she flare up and said, "I am the Vice-captain, you should not be the one holding this position and I should be the one giving the plans". After hearing this, I was quite shocked and pissed off, I told her that this position was not what I asked for and my plans were to bring medals back for the team. I continued to tell her that, being this position was just a temporary as our coach was not free this period of time and after this competition, this position will be back to empty space. As she was still being angry, she replied," even though this was what coach said, you should still be listening to me as a vice-captain and not overtaking my position". 

When we about to get really heated up in the argument, one of the team members who was slightly older than us came over and tried stop us from continuing. He tried to talk us out, but due to our frustration, I am not listening to him as well as the vice-captain. Therefore, we called it a day for the training.

For that night, training ended slightly early due to this issue and we decided to talk things out to prevent further argument on the next training as it will affect our team attitude negatively instead positive. We sorted our roles for the team and work things out for the following training. 

Now, I will give you guys the question on your thoughts.
If you are either of us (me or the vice-captain), how will you handle this issue to bring a better outcome for the team?